$595 does sound like a lot of money for the family share. However, here's another way to look at the issue of affordability:
- For the cost of a daily fast food sandwich, your family can eat our minutes-fresh vegetables each day of the week from June to mid-October.
- The family share CSA entitles you to attend ten harvest events on our farm. If you attend the farm events and stock up on veggies for your winter months, the cost of your Full/Family CSA Share goes down to $1.49 a day!! So that means for the cost of a very small bag of Cheetos each day, you can have minutes fresh, nutrient-dense vegetables year round!!
- Most harvest events have a value of $40.00, although some can be much more. Ten harvest events total a value of more than $400. As a CSA member, you are not paying for the harvest events; they are a bonus to you for being a part of our CSA!
- Bluebird Gardens invests a lot in your good health! We do biological farming which is to balance all the elements in the soil which builds the house for the biology. This allows nature to work its magic giving you flavor and nutritional density.
- A CSA membership is an investment in your health. Your CSA boxes will bring you a variety of seasonal produce to try. You'll find you're eating more vegetables, and they're grown without dangerous chemicals.
- Bluebird Gardens CSA members are not only investing in their own health and well-being, they are also investing in local, sustainably-raised food and ecological health. Bluebird Gardens believes in responsible land stewardship that builds the natural fertility of the soil, preserves habitat for wildlife, and increases biodiversity. Joining a CSA is a great way to advance environmental causes, because as Wendell Berry says, "what we eat determines how the land is used."
- CSA membership makes Bluebird Gardens YOUR FARM. We encourage you to stop by anytime and picnic in the magic woods, gather flowers, and pick herbs. Let Bluebird Gardens become your home away from home!
So is our CSA affordable??? We'll let you be the judge.